On forum: 12/13/2014
Message edited by:
Insert original CD or can't load saved games|
I am new to the world of STALKER. I first bought SOC from a bargain bin and enjoyed it very much. I then bought COP found it just as enjoyable. After my experience with those two, I had to give CS a try as well.
Because my internet download speed in not the greatest, I needed the CD version and ordered one from Amazon. The CD came in a paper sleeve with the access code sticker on the sleeve. Ok...not what I was expecting, but what do you expect for $5.
Anyway, my experience with CS has been a bit of a nightmare, but not with the game itself. In my opinion, CS is turning out to be more fun then the other two. My problems has been with SECUROM.
I am posting this so that others might be able to benefit from things that I have found that allows me to play this game.
I inserted the CD and installed the game without problems. Without removing the original CD, I started the game. I received a notice to "INSERT ORIGINAL CD". After searching the internet for solutions, I discovered that I need to download TAGES and install it.
TAGES worked well at first and allowed me to get into the game. However, the mouse cursor did not work correctly on the main menu. I downloaded the latest patch and that fixed the cursor problem.
I played for about 5 minutes and at that point, my game crashed. Ok...no problem, I've had programs crash before. However, when I restarted the game my saved games would not load. Not the Quick Saves....not the Auto Saves....not the Hard saves.
After more research, and doing some "trial & error", this is what I discovered.
1. If you have TAGES installed and still get the "INSERT ORIGINAL CD" message, restart your computer. This restart normally will alleviate this problem.
2. If the game crashes, it is common that the "INSERT ORIGINAL CD" error message will appear. See #1.
3. After rebooting and restarting the game, my next problem was that I could not load any of my saves. The game files would load, but would CTD as soon as the loading was complete.
4. To get past #3, start a new game. After getting through the starting dialog, you can now reload older saves. You will not be able to reload an Auto Save of an older game, as the new game will over write the Auto Save file. So, save often. While a hard save is recommended, I have found the Quick saves to be working ok.
5. After the game crashes, I will always get the "INSERT ORIGINAL CD" message and my saves will not reload after I reboot my computer.
I posted this because I never did find a viable solution on the many sites/forums on the internet. A lot of hints and guesses, but nothing that really resolved my issues. This IS an issue many are encountering if the number of threads created over these same issues are any indication. I understand that this is a convoluted method of hoops to jump through, but it did work for me. I hope this help someone else to enjoy this game.