Also, have you tried uninstalling all GPU drivers and installing some older driver version? I had several issues with my two last graphic cards and in both cases it turned out that the latest drivers where not the best (at least not for the games I needed them to work with); so checking out a few (not only one) older drivers solved my issues - weird but true
You know what, it actually was the SSOA... Except I had to turn it off in the Shaders file and not in-game. Thanks! ---END QUOTATION---
SSAO is buggy as hell in SoC because its a old build when CS was still in development. Your 6870 only requires 150w of power which is drawn from the 12v rail, your Corsair unit has 54A, which apparently is dragged down to 40A, probably because of the split rail configuration or something similar if it is dragged down. The unit should have plenty of oomph for your system and have room to spare. Even according to Thermaltakes system calculator you only need a PSU of around 430w. http://www.thermaltake.outervision.com/Power
Well, when I went to the store and I saw that PSU for that price I grabbed it not knowing what it was. Then I got home to put it in the case and then noticed it was a secondary PSU but whatever, my system runs fine how it is.
---QUOTATION--- SSAO is buggy as hell in SoC because its a old build when CS was still in development. ---END QUOTATION---
That's a well-known one. However, I still wonder why/how it makes some GPUs refuse to work at all - I would have expected some glitches or rendering misbehavior upon runtime, but not that just a bad shader implementation can make some GPUs die while others work like a charm
Something considered impossible is only something that hasn't been done yet.
I don't think its anything to do with SSAO specifically, just the way certain GPU architectures are. Even that explanation still raises some questions though especially as I've run SSAO on a lot of different nvidia and ATi cards without any issues.
I know I should've gotten a picture of the old shaders in that area but oh well.. Trust me when I say it is better.
Thanks guys on the help.
EDIT: Out of curiosity I disabled this line: #define SSAO_TEX_CONT
And then turned the main SSAO back on and it worked, but it looked the same... Maybe that line above was the problem. I did notice that after I disabled it the game became "Less dark" as stated in the note after it. Very strange...